On Sunday, March 8th 2020, I went to my first Bridal Appointment! It was so exciting yet extremely overwhelming, let me tell you! I honestly didn’t really know what to expect and I was not well prepared, but it was a fantastic experience nonetheless. Within the few hours I spent at the bridal store, I learned so much and I can’t wait for my follow up appointment in a few weeks! Here are some do’s & don’ts that may better prepare you for your first bridal appointment!
- Dress comfortably, this is key! Loose fitting clothing that could easily be put back on would be ideal. Keep in mind that you will be walking around the bridal store on the hunt for the perfect dress! This means you could be in and out of the dressing room, several times throughout your appointment.
- Bring people that you trust & can give you an honest opinion! It’s important to get real feedback from those closest to you. I brought my parents, best friend & had my mother-in-law on FaceTime.
- Do your research beforehand. I’ll be completely honest, although I did have a few ideas & went through the Bridal shop’s website, I could have been a lot better prepared for the appointment.
- Do keep an open mind! I was not so keen towards specific styles, but as soon as I tried those dresses on, my opinion on those dresses quickly changed! Keep in mind, that dresses DO look so different when hanging in comparison to when it is on!
- Try on the dresses alongside some accessories. Most bridal stores do have accessories on hand, such as veils, hair pieces, shoes & even jewels that you could add to your dress! Trust me, this could completely change the look of a dress, or even give you that bridal feel if you feel you are lacking that!
- Don’t rush! Take your time with the appointment and before making any decision. It is very easy to get carried away by all the beautiful dresses and comments made by your loved ones. Take that follow up appointment if needed!
- Listen to your heart! If you want to keep that dress in your top 3, keep it! Don’t let the opinions of others overtake your own. This is easier said than done & a perfect example as to why point #1 is important! Having support is great, but remember, it is YOUR wedding!
- If at all possible, try and avoid making an appointment on a Saturday. Lucky enough, we went on a Sunday and was informed by my consultant and other shoppers, that Saturdays are insane and even more overwhelming than the average appointment!
- Don’t try too many dresses on! It’s best to keep your options open, yes, but trying to many can make an overall overwhelming experience that much more overwhelming! You don’t want to end up confusing yourself even more so!
- Don’t worry if you don’t cry or if you find the one at your first bridal appointment. Keep in mind that all brides are different and each experience is unique! You will know, when you find the one. Enjoy every minute of it!
I am excited for my follow up appointment in a few weeks! What are some your favorite wedding dress shopping do’s & don’ts? What was your experience like? P.S I will change the picture at a later point when possible 🙂
Thanks for reading & speak soon! x